Monday, January 27, 2014

Division with Unit Fractions Task Card Mini-Kit

Ah, January... You have this weird way of making teachers wish time would both speed up and slow down at the same time. Summer seems so far away, but those tests... they're so close now.

We have our first big assessment early next month. We're all a little bit worried this year about this year's writing test because this will be the first year our students have taken it on a computer. That brings a whole new element of stress with it. At the same time, we're scrambling to be ready in all of the other subjects.

How are your kids doing with division with fractions?

Mine have struggled. They're doing great with just working a problem. They're able to divide a whole number by a unit fraction or reverse it, but if I give them a word problem and ask them to write the problem themselves, that's a whole other issue. And number lines? Forget it!

Before our test last week, I decided to take a day to do some reteaching over these two skills. I created a task card mini-kit that we used to help review and practice after the lesson. Overall, it went well. I know I'm a little bit behind here, but I am loving the task cards, and so are my kiddos!


Since this is a mini-kit, there are only 8 cards, which meant that every kid solved every problem during the class period before we checked them. Below you can see one page of the cards.


I also created an answer sheet for this. I've found that if I tell my students to show their work on notebook paper, it's either very disorganized (we're working on this one!) or missing steps or an explanation. An answer sheet with places designated for these parts seems to solve that problem every time.

We took the test the day after this review, and I think it really helped some of my friends who were struggline quite a bit. To download this mini-kit from my TpT store, click on the cover photo above.

No comments:

Post a Comment